HUDSON BAY COMPANY – The interior of the Hudson’s Bay Company Store in 1920. At this time, William and Ellen Biggs moved to Fort McMurray with their young family. The family, which soon grew to six people, moved into a two-storey house by the Hangingstone River. Like many early pioneers in town, William did a number of jobs, including Forest Ranger and working for the Hudson’s Bay Company. In 1912, he went into partnership with Jack Lazard of Athabasca and ran the first sawmill in town. When this photograph was taken in 1920, William was very briefly the Factor for the HBC. Learn more about the region’s history by visiting Fort McMurray Heritage Park or go online to www.fortmcmurrayhistory.com.