Locals receive $100K donation

Alarm exchange program launched through Fort McMurray fire halls

By Dawn Booth, Connect Weekly

Front_alarm

Fort McMurray firefighters Donald Clark, Rob O’Driscoll and Darren McNutt of Fire Hall 3 at 101 Cornwall Drive showed off some of the donated smoke alarms from Kidde Canada on August 8. Photo by Dawn Booth, Connect Weekly

Kidde Canada has donated $100,000 worth of donated smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to returning Fort McMurray residents to replace affected units.

“Kidde brought this to the attention of local government and offered its expertise and support. It is the company’s mandate to support communities in need,” said Conrad Galambos of Kidde Canada. “Returning residents have plenty of things to deal with upon their return. Thinking to check their alarms may have been overlooked.”

Galamobos further explained there’s a risk some alarms have been affected by the wildfire smoke and airborne debris that had covered the area.

“Certainly, batteries were likely drained from alarms going off continually. Additionally, some sensors may have been compromised,” he said.

Representatives are urging residents to lightly vacuum their alarms, replace the batteries, and then push the ‘Test’ button to check the alarm’s functionality. Also, the National Fire Protection Association recommends smoke alarms older than seven to 10 years should be replaced. Carbon monoxide alarms should be replaced if they were made before 2009.

A special exchange program has been put in place at Fort McMurray Fire Hall 1 at Tolen Drive, Fire Hall 3 at 101 Cornwall Drive, Fire Hall 4 at 101 Paquette Drive and Fire Hall 5 at 200 Airport Road. Residents who have cleaned and tested their home alarms can bring any damaged unit to a participating fire hall daily from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.

“Now more than ever, it’s essential for Wood Buffalo residents to ensure their homes are fire safe,” Perry Gillam, Deputy Chief, Fire Prevention/Administration, Regional Emergency Services of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, stated in a recent release. “We strongly encourage all residents to check their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms regularly, and to make fire safety and prevention a priority.”

For more information, residents can call the Wood Buffalo Pulse Line at 780-743-7000 or visit www.safeathome.ca. Any residents unsure if their alarms are in working order can have them checked at one of the local fire departments.

– Connect Weekly –